Home Your Union Membership benefits
There are many benefits of being a member of the Health Services Union both within your workplace and outside.
The most important reason to join the union is that it allows you to be better paid, have a more secure job and get ahead in your workplace. Consider these general facts:
- Union members are paid more. The latest figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that union members earn on average 14.9 per cent more than non-members; It is even better for part-time workers, women, young people and casuals. On average: part-time workers are 42.9% better off; women are 24% better off; 15-19 year-olds are 20.2% better off; and casuals are 16.2% better off.
- Your conditions are better.The ABS figures show members get better sick leave and holiday leave entitlements and non-members and are more likely to receive long service leave and paid maternity leave.
- Better trained in a better workplace. A recent international report by the World Bank (hardly a friend of the workers) found that members not only get better pay but they are better trained, have better working conditions and job security and work fewer hours. Unions were good for not only their members but the economy and in helping reduce inequality;
It Pays To Belong
As a HSU member you are part of an organisation of over 70,000 members that is focused solely on improving the rights and conditions of its members. HSU members work together to confront problems at work and to help each other get ahead.
Across the country the HSU:
- Provides job protection through the strength of a national union;
- Represents members or groups of members in the Australian Industrial Relations Commission (AIRC);
- Assists in negotiating Enterprise Bargaining Agreements and other Workplace Agreements
- Assists in negotiation with employers on entitlements
- Represents its members in disputes with employers
- Represents its members who have a Workers Compensation Claim
- Protect its members in cases of workplace restructures, downsizing, reclassifications etc
- Provides health and safety guidance and support.
Members Credit Union
Members can join the union's own credit union. The credit union offers a range of discount financial services. For more information see a special presentation below.
Members can read more about this service in the members only section of the website.
A union the size of the HSU provides many other benefits such as access to cheap or significantly discounted services, free or inexpensive legal and financial advice, access to cheap home loans and other financial services. Branches of the union all offer discount packages and special services.
Contact details for all branches are available here.
Part of the ACTU
The ACTU has also developed a series of discounts for union members by harnessing the bargaining power of 1.9 million working Australians. These services include banking products, financial advice, computers, telephone shopping and discount cinema tickets.
For a full list of ACTU Member Connect services call 1300 362 223 or visit their website
Why join?....watch the video [ movie ]
Health Services Union
Ph: (02) 8203 6066
Fax: (02) 8203 6060